Monday 11 December 2017

An Autumn/ Winter sensory story

2 posts in 2 days we are doing well...in fairness this is one I've been meaning to post for a while now! It's just a quick one.

I just thought I'd share with you all this term's sensory story in my class of secondary pupils with CLDD. They are absolutely loving it, even more than my previous sensory stories, an example of which can be found here or on TES: sensory_dispensary.

I have typed it up with all the senses and what I am looking for which really helps my team make good observations and understand the 'why imperative' which underpins everything we do in class and highlights the real benefits of sensory stories.

This term's topic has been 'Seasons'. I started writing this story beginning with the sensory experiences and then adding the language. The structure isn't amazing and it doesn't flow quite how I wanted it to but my children absolutely love the sensory experiences and have responded really well which is the main thing! I have seen great progress in signing, one child is generalising the signing of more from just food to sensory experiences too, increased visual awareness which many of my pupils with complex ASD struggle with. Overall I'm just so pleased with this story and wanted to share it with you all. If anyone is doing seasons in the future and uses it, please let me know how you get on! You can find the story on TES here.

We have been busy the last couple of weeks designing, resourcing and making our Christmas Sensory stories. We are really proud of how they have turned out. They feature 9 different sensory items across 6 of the senses. The packs come ready to go with the items, a laminated story for future use, a recipe card and an information card about the 'why and how imperative' behind sensory stories. We have sold quite a few packs to teachers and parents across the county and we hope many special and wonderful children are enjoying them. We are taking two packs into school for our classes tomorrow! One lady sent us a lovely and excited message this morning after receiving hers and another photo this evening and even her cat was enjoying exploring the sensory items!. We still have a few available if you would like to purchase one, just drop us a message. They are £25 plus £2.90 postage and packaging.







Have a great week everyone and thank you for the lovely feedback regarding Hannah's post on happiness. I join you all, it is so beautifully written and really highlights the importance of mental health and well being and how it should be a more widely discussed topic. You can read her blog post here.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty nice post. I have in fact enjoyed reading your website posts. I have been googling blogs and sites in related manner recently and i have to state you have a nice.

    Pediatric Occupational Therapy and Early Intervention

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good, its is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are becomes a more and more interesting from the starting lines until the end.

    Autism Therapies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good, its is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are becomes a more and more interesting from the starting lines until the end.

    Spa Parties for girls central nj

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not that good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!

    Classes for children with sensory processing difficulties

    ReplyDelete