Sunday 13 August 2017

An old sensory story - the need for repetition

I wanted to share this story for two reasons. Firstly, this is the story I demonstrated at the staff training session we wrote about in the last post. And secondly, I wanted to post about sensory stories a result of a recent discussion about repetition. It was mentioned that we are being measured on our pace and high expectations of the children and continuously moving them on. Our children require an immense amount of time and patience to reveal their full potential. By repeating an activity such as a sensory story for a considerable time we are giving the child the crucial TIME to at first notice, then perhaps tolerate moving to exploration and finally intentional actions. Our children do not have object permanence, they need time and repetition to help them begin to build it. 

Jo Grace used a great quote on twitter recently by the late, great Penny Lacey: Lacey (2008) where learning is driven by repetition choosing the developmentally correct level of experience is vital. #PMLD

Another point was the children getting bored. In my experience it is the adults who get bored not the children. Often our children experience things repeatedly as though for the first time which is why repetition is so necessary. The input should still be engaging and using sensory stimulus is always great for exciting and encouraging the children to explore your resource. A way to combat staff boredom I've found is working with TAs to develop understanding. Our 'word' in my class next year is going to be 'why?' I'm currently drumming up ideas for an interactive staff why board (I'll probably post about this later in the year) We must help TAs understand why and give them the tools and support to recognise progress and emerging communication. They are less likely to moan about the repetition if they understand why they are repeating and the impact they are having on the development of the children they are working with.

This previous year I was in fact working with a lovely group of SLD children, some of whom had autism. They were key stage 2 and working in old money terms between p5 and p8. I adopted an EYFS approach to learning encouraging lots of child initiated exploration in a supported way. The children engaged in the activities and the adults tailored their engagement within an activity to their personal learning goals. I had three choices of activity in each 'lesson' for maths, literacy and topic and these activities remained the same for the week. The children grew in confidence in their favoured activity, loved the freedom of choice (it particularly helped my children with ADHD) and the repetition of activities throughout the week allowed me to see progress. In role play activities they were beginning to use language from the story. I really think the main thing that made this year successful in terms of learning outcomes being met, improved behaviour especially turn taking and other social skills was the structure of my sessions and repeating activities for a week.



Anyway... here is my sensory story!

Bruce the bear

Bruce was a bear with a wet nose at the end of his snout
black rubber ball dipped in water
Tactile
Bruce was a lazy bear and he loved to sleep
Switch – snoring
Auditory
One morning whilst curled up asleep he heard the rain pour and the thunder crash outside
Thunder maker instrument
Auditory
He got up and looked at the rain splashing in the puddles
Water pouches in laminate (make with caution) (gloss not matt)
Alternatively: a water spray 
Proprioceptive, auditory
Bruce walked through the forest and the pine needles stuck to him
Smell pine
Olfactory
Bruce saw a beehive hanging from a tree
Bee pompom sensory umbrella
Visual
He shook the tree
Green glitter sensory bottle
Visual
The bees stung him – ouch!
Crackle foot spray (from Avon)
Tactile
Bruce ran away from the bees and jumped in the lake
Drop a pebble in a bowl of water
Visual
Once the bees had gone he snuck up and enjoyed the sticky sweet honey
Taste honey
Gustatory

I wrote this story over two years ago now, it was one of my first and not my best. My topic was animals I think and our SLD group were doing mini-beasts and woodland creatures so I tried to link it and came up with this.

It is always tricky to get all of the 7 senses, the vestibular sense is the one I find the hardest and I haven’t managed to get it in all of my stories.

The children really enjoyed this story, we did it for about 6 weeks. The aim for our children is to find a purpose in their world and have experiences they can play a part in. For this to happen, our children need repetition. It may take over 100 times for a fluke to become an intentional action.

During this story my children anticipated parts of the story particularly when to drop the pebble in the water and they anticipated that they would get splashed. Some vocalised before it happened others turned their heads away to avoid the splash of the water. It took over 4 weeks for this to emerge. At first they didn’t notice the umbrella but by the end of the term some were reaching up. One child loved to tap them and track their movement. Another child loved the crackle foot spray and after weeks of experiencing it decided he wanted more and held his hand out for more.

Repetition, repetition, repetition. If I had moved onto a different sensory story the next week I would not have seen any of this emerging communication or anticipation and it would have limited the children's full potential. 


Hannah will be writing a post next week about the impact repetition has on the outcomes from her daily sensology sessions. I love Hannah's sensology sessions and have 'borrowed' it and adapted it slightly for my new class in September. 


All of my sensory stories are inspired by hearing Jo Grace present at Sensory Spectacle’s Interact workshop training day. Sensory Spectacle have another Interact workshop coming up. It is a great opportunity to take part in multiple hands-on workshops during one day! http://www.sensoryspectacle.co.uk/events

Jo travels the country delivering training on sensory stories, mental health and wellbeing and sensory engagement. She is also an author of two great books 'Sensory Stories for Children and Teens with Special Educational Needs' and 'Sensory-Being for Sensory Beings: Creating Entrancing Sensory Experiences' both books can be found on amazon. 
Check out her upcoming training courses on her website: http://jo.element42.org/training

Hannah and I will be at Parallel London’s sensory 1K in Jo’s sensory tent with some proprioceptive activities. Check out the website, we hope to see many of you there. http://www.parallellondon.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this.I too use a sensory story over and over again with the PMLD learners I teach. I totally agree it's the TA's who get bored ,not the children. In fact I have one learner who becomes anxious with new activities and it's not until the third or fourth repetition that he relaxes. The more often we repeat the activity, the more he enjoys it. I do like your idea of a Why board for TA's-I will be interested in how it goes for you and may pinch the idea.:) I am posting as Elaine van Zon but it's pinklipsMacflip from Twitter [just so you can place me!]

    ReplyDelete